Web based recruitment portal is a web based application that monitors the recruitment process of any organization online. It has the features that allow the user to apply for job online. When application is sent through the web portal, based on the requirement of the said job description, the portal screens the candidate and determines whether or not the applicant is qualified. If the applicant is not qualified, the portal rejects the application and returns a feedback to the user, else the applicant’s information will be sent to the portal’s database, where the administrator can access notify the applicant of a date of an interview. The web based recruitment portal is or should be recommended for every organization in their personnel department because it will ease the stress of the personnel managers and as well help them to select the suitable people to suit the position. This web portal will be developed using dream weaver platform and the scripting writing with PHP server technology. The database will be administered using mySQL.
I.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
On-line activities have in recent past replaced virtually every form of transactions. This is because of the advent of the internet, which provides a global network connection for all such activities. With this technology, many institutions have their tentacles spread across the globe. In line with this trend, job search activities and job providers need to join the band wagon of the global community in shearing their information across the internet. The Project work is based on this notion.
A web portal, also known as a links page, presents information from diverse sources in a unified way. Apart from the standard search engine feature, web portals offer other services such as e-mail, news, stock prices, information, databases and entertainment. Portals provide a way for enterprises to provide a consistent look and feel with access control and procedures for multiple applications and databases, which otherwise would have been different entities altogether. Job hunting, job seeking, or job searching is the act of looking for employment, due to unemployment, discontent with a current position, or a desire for a better position. The immediate goal of job seeking is usually to obtain a job interview with an employer which may lead to getting hired. The job hunter or seeker typically first looks for job vacancies or employment opportunities
I.1.1 common methods of job hunting
- Finding a job through a friend or an extended business network, personal network, or career-oriented social networking site
- Using an employment website
- Job listing search engines
- Looking through the classifieds in newspapers
- Using a private or public employment agency or recruiter
- Looking on a company’s web site for open jobs, typically in its applicant tracking system
- Going to a job fair
- Using professional guidance such as outplacement services that give training in writing a résumé, applying for jobs and how to be successful at interview.
- Visiting an organization to find out whether it is recruiting staff or will be doing so in the near future.
As of 2010, less than 10% of U.S. jobs are filled through online ads.
Our research work is going to be base using an employment website and Job listing search engines to search or find job i.e Web portal.
I.1.2 job hunting in economic theory
Economists use the term “frictional unemployment” to mean unemployment resulting from the time and effort that must be expended before an appropriate job is found. This type of unemployment is always present in the economy. Search theory is the economic theory that studies the optimal decision of how much time and effort to spend searching, and which offers to accept or reject (in the context of a job hunt, or likewise in other contexts like searching for a low price).
I.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The primary function of the Job finder web portal is to assist the government and organisation in providing jobs for the unemployed populace and also to help the unemployed to get gainful employment for their benefit. There are several problems hampering the link between qualified personnel (or applicants) to some potential employers. Most of such problems could be summarized into:
- Staff attitude: The nonchalant attitude of some of the staff of certain employment agencies towards requests due to some difficulty they encounter while collecting data. Also, some departments working under the some establishment view themselves as independent entities, hence the flow of information suffers serious setbacks and access to central data becomes increasingly difficult.
- Processing: Poor data and information flow within the organization due to job duplication and role redundancies and also errors due to incorrect entries from the public.
- Time wastage: Time wastages could be due to lack of well-defined information retrieval system, insufficient number of employed personnel and delay caused by postal services. This affects the overall response time of the agency to requests.
I.3 AIM OF THE STUDY
The aim of this study is to design and implement online Web Based Recruitment Portal for job finder, job seeker and unemployed youth.
I.4 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The practical objective of this work is to design and implement an online recruitment portal.
The specific objectives of this project are:
- To help employers to post their job offers online and search their database to find people who best suit their vacant job positions.
- Providing the possibility for job seekers/job finder to build their curriculum vitae (CVs) online, look for new job opportunities in industries and organizations, get e-mail notifications of interesting job vacancies and apply directly through the website.
- To help organizations attract, test, recruit, employ and retain quality staff with minimal amount of administration.
I.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research work is dedicated to bridging the gap between the unemployed (job applicants) and prospective employers. It is purely limited to the use of an employment directory to link applicants to various vacancies. This project will only cover the area of using the directory database to provide the necessary information required by an organization to employ qualified individuals into positions needed to be filled. After the analysis of the existing system, some areas were noted for improvement while some sensitive areas demanded conversion, which could best be handled by a computer method i.e. automation.
It must be noted however, that this project or model does create job opportunities by design but provides an easy and more efficient access to information needed for smooth employment delivery and labor assignment it is therefore hoped that future researchers will carry out further work on this subject.
I.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
If this prototype is fully developed will be very useful in many areas such as:
- It will ease the work of the personnel department of the any organization.
- It will create more employment opportunities for our youths.
- The government can also review and deploy it to other sectors.
- Private individuals can also find it interesting
I.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study was limited by several factors, of which some posed serious constraints towards the development of the project. The two major limitations of this study are the high programming technique as well as financial constraints. The high programming technique constraint in PHP, JQUERY and MYSQL prevents the researcher to have an in depth study and analysis on the subject matter. While the issue of financial constraint limits the frequency of investigation to/from the institution toward gathering the necessary information relevant for the study.
This is among other frustrations such as program failures during modular construction stages. In ability to procure personal internet access for uploading made it difficult for the deployment at testing stage.
Again was the distance and availability of research materials. It was absolutely difficult to source most of the important information needed for this work. For instance, collection of information that helped us to develop the forms and database was another serous issue.
I.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
RECRUITMENT: This refers to the process of attracting, screening and selecting qualified people for a job at an organization or firm.
WEB: This refers to a vehicle for accessing and sharing of information.
SERVER: A computer or program managing access to a resource or service in a network.
PORTAL: A web application that is designed to represent a ton of information in a concise and centered way thereby making the internet easier to use e.g. Yahoo.com, Netscape.com, etc.
ONTOLOGY: Ontology in computer science and information technology is a formal representation of the knowledge by a set of concepts within a domain and
the relationship between those concepts.
METADATA: This is loosely defined as data about data. It is a concept that applies mainly to electronically archived data and is used to describe the definition, structure and administration of data file with all contents in context to ease the use of the captured and archived data for further use.
MySQL: Structured Query Language is a database computer language designed for managing data in relational database management system (RDBMS) and originally based upon relational algebra. It scope include data query and update, schema creation and modification, and data access control.
DATABASE: This is designed to offer an organized mechanism for storing, managing