INFLUENCE OF N.T.A ENUGU COMMERCIALS ON THE PRODUCT PROMOTION OF INDOMIE INSTANT NOODLES (A STUDY OF CHILDREN IN EMENE COMMUNITY)
Price: 2000 Naira (BSC, MSC)
Influence of commercial advertising on the productpromotion of indomie instant noodles. A study of the children of Emene community Enugu Focus on commercial advertising which is a potent way of attracting the minds of children towards products or services. This study is anchoreed on two theories which are the cognitive dissonance theory and diffusion of innovative theory. The cognitive disonance explains how human beings are consistenc and attempts to reduce their dissonance. Diffusion of innovative theory stipulates that when the right channel of communication is useed among the members of a social system on innovation can be adopted. The survey research method was used. Simple random sampling for obtaining information from respodents, while the usse of simple random percentage metod was used for the date analysis. Findings indicates that consumers pay attention to commercial advertisement with interest and food then entertaining and informative
1.1 Backgroud Of Study
Advertising is one of the five tools used tools used to direct persuasive communication to targeted audience. Advertising as a business competitive strategy is aimed at creating awareness of the existence of a product through the communication media. Advertising has effect on buyers, so, it is important to carry out this study to know the impact of advertising.
The purpose of advertising is to develop customer’s favorable attention towards the product. Collins dictionary of business (1995, p.31) says that advertising consists of non personal terms of communication conducted through paid media under clear sponsorship. Commercial advertising is the visual presentation in the media of a product or services supplied by a firm or organization which is aimed at encouraging prospective buyers to buy the product and to provide them with public safety information.
In an urban area like Enugu television provides the most spectacular way in which an advertiser can reach the greater number of people at a time as they possess television sets. Advertisements are a common and accepted part of daily life. If advertisements have no effect, companies would not spend so much money on them. An effective advertisement is that which is able to create desire or motivate consumers favorable action if advertising appeals sufficiently to consumes motive it will motivate, encourage repeated buying of the products, thereby, increasing the profit of a firm and promoting the product. This is why Anike (1998) quoting Macorn Erikson has this to say “advertising is one of the most powerful socializing forces in the culture. It sells images, values, goods, concept of who we are and who should be. They shape our attitude and our attitude shape our behavior.
The question then is, why should goods and services be advertised? Corke (1986) advised four reasons why goods and services should be advertised. According to him, people’s needs and task develops change as they grow older and they are ready to buy products and try services they did not want to buy before.
Secondly, products are forever being updated and improved upon to keep pace with the demand of times.
Thirdly, advertising helps to build and maintain products, broad image and adds to its
Fourthly, people do forget about products very quickly unless they are constantly reminded. This
is why the mega advertisers continue to promote their products for instance Pepsi will suffer serious decline within a few year if they do not constantly advertise. for an advert to have impact, the advertisers have to select the medium of advertising which depends on the market segment which is being targeted. The following five decisions should be made in developing an advert programme,
• What are the advertising objectives?
• How much should be spent?
• What message should be sent?
• What media should be used?
• How should the result be evaluated?
For an advertisement to serve it purpose, it is imperative that its wording should be carefully chosen or reflects emotional appeals.
In as much as it is not easy to distinguish between praise and deliberate deceit.( Awake) August 22, 1998) warns that advertisers needs to be careful not to make claims that can be disproved by verifiable facts. Some governments have law that prohibits such dishonesty and business are quick to see at their interests are threatened by the deceptive adverts of rivals.
There are various brands of noodles in the shop market, stalks and in the hawker’s barrows. The ability to each brand to sell depends on the brand exposure and bad persuasive power of the advertising messages on the buyers as well as the quality of such brand.
Television seems to be the highest media used to advertise these products, in other words commercial advertising seeks to impress the consumers about the image of a product to create a better impression in the minds of the consumers and to increase their patronage.
Commercial advertising often seeks to grant increase consumption of their products or services through branding which involves associating a product name or image with certain qualities in the mind of consumers. Its against this backdrop that this research work seeks to know how much commercial advert influences the promotion of indomie noodles in Emene community of Enugu state?
1.2 Statement Of Problem
Over the years, indomie Noodles Company has been using the mass media as a channel for creating awareness for its product. The perception and attitude of the consumer towards a particular advert could create positive image, confidence as well as aspire the purchase of product by the consumer, it has been observed that most consume of indomie instant noodles desire the product because of its advert strategy and credibility. Looking at the rate of noodles competition in the market, this work seeks to know if commercial advert of indomie noodles is influenced by the purchase of the product, looking at various competitions commercial adverts of noodles in the market.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
1. To investigate the consumers perception about the advert of indomie noodles.
2. To ascertain the influence of commercial advert on consumers decision towards the purchase of indomie noodles.
3. To investigate the persuasive appeal of advertising on the consumer.
4. To eeducate the consumers response to the indomie noodles advert.
1.4 Research Questions
2. To what extent is indomie noodles advertised?
3. Is the advert appealing to the consumers?
4. What is the consumer perception about indomie noodles adverts.
5. Does the advert influence the consumers choice of noodles?
1.5 Scope Of The Study
This research is limited to the children of Emene community in Enugu state.
1.6 Limitation Of The Study
It was a difficult task carrying out this research work due to challenges encountered. The most daunting task was getting the respondents to complete the questionnaire due to distance between researchers and the respondents.
Another fundamental challenge encountered was in adequate sources of secondary data for referencing as studies on the topic are not prevalent in most libraries and achieves visited. There were also financing and time constraints as the study was conducted amid other hectic academic work.
1.7 Significance Of The Study
This research work will benefit a lot of target areas thus:
1. It will benefit the producer of indomie product in securing wider segments of the market.
2. It will again increase their sales volume and thus increase their profit margin.
3. It will be an eye-opener to other manufacturers of similar products in finding the best methods of getting their own share of the market.
4. It will standardize their marketing strategies and consequently stimulate demand for academic product and other similar product of the coy.
5. This study will benefit all and sundry who are involved in primary advert strategies for their products a this will be provide a guide for them.
Therefore, it is necessary to carry out this study to help clearify the issue of whether advertising of indomie instant noodles on television has any influence on the children of Emene community.
1.8 Conceptual Definition Of Study
1. Advertising: it is a paid form of non personal communication through a medium like television, radio, posters, etc aimed at promoting an idea product individual or service by an identified sponsor.
2. Brand: is the name, term, design, symbol, or my other feature that identifies one sellers product district from those of other sellers. A modern example of a brand is the indomie instant noodles.
3. Products promotion: is an action taken by a company marketing staff with the intention of encouraging the sale of a good or service to their target achievers or market.
1.9 Operational Definition
These are the main definition we are going to be working with in this context.
1. Media: the channel of communication through which a firm or organisation advertise their products to their perspective buyers, eg Tv, Radio, newspaper, magaznes, posters etc
2. consumer: is a person or group of people who are the final users of products or services.
3. Commercial advert: is the visual presentation in the media of a product or services supplied by a firm or organization which is avoid at encouraging prospective buyers to purchase the product or greater usage of a facility to provide the population with information.