1.1 Background of the Study
A search engine is an information retrieval system designed to help find information stored on a computer system. The search results are usually presented in a list and are commonly called hits. Search engines help to minimize the time required to find information and the amount of information which must be consulted, akin to other techniques for managing information overload. Search engines provide an interface to a group of items that enables users to specify criteria about an item of interest and have the engine find the matching items.
It is safe to say that most activities such as storing of research material carried out in most universities in Nigeria are done manually. Therefore, there is a lot of strain on the individuals running the research library. A research search system is simply software developed for retrieving of research material without going through the stress of moving from one shelf to another in the research library. These activities takes place in the library with the help of a library administrator. The goal of this research work is to provide a solution to the problem of a research library, by designing a computerized system which is user-friendly and GUI-oriented that will be compatible with the existing manual systems. The software to be developed will solve the problem of sorting and retrieving of research materials.
1.2 Statement of Problems
Prior to this period most Students projects are store in the Archive Room in various University, this project are then sorted out depending on the area of research, In time this work is sorted by student who are looking for a project topic. The order in which these files are kept after used can lead to a project hidden in the wrong compartment.
Problems associated with research system when manually handled by library staff in most University include: ·
• Research/Projects are sorted and stored manually on its appropriate shelf ·
• Retrieving of research/projects material takes a lot of time depending of the number of topics involves.
• Loss or damage of any of the research material may leads to loss of a resources information ·
• Too cumbersome and time consuming to maintain.
1.3 Aim and Objectives
The main aim and objective of this study is to develop an application that will ease the stress associated with the existing manual system as earlier stated, while focusing on a research search system.
This study aims to achieve the following;
1. To create a database management system (DBMS) which store research material and provides security for the stored data.
2. To provide quick and efficient means retrieving student research/projects material through a search system
3. At the completion of this work, this system will improve the management of a research library which can be uses as a model in building digital research library.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The significance of this study is to move from manual documentation of projects to Computerized documentation of projects for easy retrieval, storage, accuracy and security. This research work will offer the following advantages to the various departments in the universithy;
1. Reduced Storage: The cost of commercial property and the need to store documentation for e.g. retrieval, regulatory compliance means that paper based project storage competes with people for space within an organisation. Scanning projects and integrating them into a project management system can greatly reduce the amount of prime storage space required by paper.
2. Flexible Indexing: Indexing paper in more than one way can be done, but it is awkward, costly and time-consuming. Images of projects stored within a project management system can be indexed in several different ways simultaneously.
3. Improved, faster and more flexible search: Project Management Systems can retrieve files by any word or phrase in the document – known as full text search – a capability that is impossible with paper.
4. Improved Security: A project management system can provide better, more flexible control over sensitive projects. Many project management system solutions allow access to projects to be controlled at the folder and/or document level for different groups and individuals. Paper projects stored in a traditional filing cabinet or filing room does not have the same level of security i.e. if you have access to the cabinet you have access to all items in it.
5. Disaster Recovery: A project management system provides an easy way to back-up projects for offsite storage and disaster recovery providing failsafe archives and an effective disaster recovery strategy. Paper is a bulky and expensive way to back-up records and is vulnerable to fire, flood, vandalism and theft.
6. No Lost Files: Lost projects can be expensive and time-consuming to replace. Within a Project Management System, imaged projects remain centrally stored when being viewed, so none are lost or misplaced. New documents are less likely to be incorrectly filed and even if incorrectly stored can be quickly and easily found and moved via the full-text searching mechanisms.
7. Digital Archiving: Keeping archival versions of projects in a project management system helps protect paper documents that still have to be retained, from over-handling.
1.5 Scope of the Study
This research topic is just a part of a research engine system, it is not a research engine system in a broader sense (such as Google); hence it is being limited to registration module for users (students) to have access to available research materials and the search module for users to search for research topics or materials.
1.6 Limitations of the Study
Usually, every work has some limitations and this study is not exempted.
The two major limitations of this study are the high programming technique as well as financial constraints. The high programming technique constraint in PHP, JQUERY and MYSQL prevents the researcher to have an in depth study and analysis on the subject matter. While the issue of financial constraint limits the frequency of investigation to/from the institution toward gathering the necessary information relevant for the study.
1.7 Definition of Terms
HyperText: Hypertext is text displayed on a computer display or other electronic devices with references (hyperlinks) to other text that the reader can immediately access, or where text can be revealed progressively at multiple levels of detail (also called StretchText).
Architecture: The art and science of designing buildings and (some) nonbuilding structures.
FTP: The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is the standard network protocol used for the transfer of computer files between a client and server on a computer network.
Search Engine: search engineis a software system that is designed to search for information on the World Wide Web.
Bot: An Internetbot, also known as web robot, WWW robot or simplybot, is a software application that runs automated tasks (scripts) over the Internet.
UML Diagram: They describe both the static structure and the dynamic behavior of a system.
Search: An attempt to find, seek, look thoroughly, probe or examine something
System: A collection of different entities working together to function as one
Algorithm: The step by step methods and procedures that must be followed to achieve a goal.
Database: A collection of organized information in a regular structure usually but not necessarily in a machine readable format accessible by a computer.
Knowledge Base: A database designed to need the complex storage and retrieval requirements of computerized knowledge management, especially in support of artificial intelligence or expert systems.
HTML CODE: – HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a type of computer language that is primarily used for files that are posted on the internet and viewed by web browsers. HTML files can also be sent via email.
Markup language: – A markup language is a combination of words and symbols which give instructions on how a document should appear. For example, a tag may indicate that words are written in italics or bold type.
Web browser: -A Web browser is a software program that interprets the coding language of the World Wide Web in graphic form, displaying the translation rather than the coding. This allows anyone to “browse the Web” by simple point and click navigation, bypassing the need to know commands used in software languages.
File extension: – A file extension is the suffix at the end of a filename that tells a computer, and the computer user, which program is needed to open the file. Also called a filename extension, this suffix preceded by at least one period, is generally one to five characters long but the norm is usually three characters in length.
Email: – Email, also sometimes written as e-mail, is simply the shortened form of electronic mail, a protocol for receiving, sending, and storing electronic messages. Email has gained popularity with the spread of the Internet. In many cases, email has become the preferred method of communication.
TCP/IP: – This often used but little understood set of operations stands for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol. TCP/IP is the combination of the two and describes the set of protocols that allows hosts to connect to the Internet. In actuality, TCP/IP is a combination of “more than those two protocols, but the TCP and IP parts of TCP/IP are the main ones and the only ones to become part of the acronym that describes the operations involved.
TEXT FILE: – A text file is a computer file that stores a typed document as a series of alphanumeric characters, usually without visual formatting information. The content may be a personal note or list, a journal or newspaper article, a book, or any other text that can be rendered accurately in typewritten form.
Hyper Link:-A hyperlink is a graphic or a piece of text in an Internet document that can connect readers to another webpage, or another portion of a document. Web users will usually find at least one hyperlink on every webpage. The simplest form of these is called embedded text or an embedded link.
|Learn ICT SKILL @ ABIOLIAN SOLUTIONS ENTERPRESE||https://abioliansolutions.com.ng|
|Learn ICT SKILL @ ABIOLIAN ONLINE ACADEMY||https://onlineabiolian.com.ng|
|Abiolian VTU SHOP||https://abiolianshop.com.ng|
|Our Market – Abiolian Online Store||https://ourmarket.com.ng|
|LETHOSTNOW Classified ADS||https://easyads.com.ng|
|Abiolian Jobs Portal||https://jobsportal.com.ng|
|HOST Your Website @ LETHOSTNOW||https://lethostnow.com|
|Send Bulk SMS @ Abiolian Get Bulk SMS||https://getbulksms.com.ng|
|Get Final Year Project @ Project Gist International||http://projectgist.com.ng|